Friendship day history:
This is the day dedicated to companions and friends. It is the time to enjoy the prettiest association you possess, the pledge which marks the foundation for every relationship. We celebrate Friendship Day each year though but we may not be well acquainted with the history of the day. Very few people are familiar of the origin and history of Friendship Day i.e. how it came into existence. If you want to learn the background of the day, read on.
Primarily, the tradition of celebrating the Friendship Day started in the West. U.S Congress declared the first Sunday of August as the National Friendship day in the year 1935. They dedicated a special day for friends because they realized the importance which friends play in each other’s life. Soon this idea caught up in other countries as well, as even they understood the importance of honoring friends. Today, friendship day is celebrated in by several countries around the globe.
Friendship day quotes:
Friendship quotes and food:
- Friendship is nothing without sharing food
- If your best friend says that you can have a bite from their food then take the biggest bite humanly possible.
- Having conversations, shaking hands or even hugs can not establishes friendship as forcefully as eating together.
- Good food, good place, good friends, good times.
- Friends who buy you food are real friends and you should never le them go.
- Friends never ask for food; best friends are the reasons you can’t eat your food.
- We all have that one friends who eats more than an elephant but is as skinny as a stick.
- Keep your best friends close and your food closer.
- Friends save the last slice of pizza for you but best friends eats the last pizza slice and laughs in your face.
Friends for life quotes
- Friends borrow your stuff for a few days, best friends keep your stuff so long they forget its yours.
- Friends know a few things about you but best friends could write a book about you with direct quotes from you.
- Friends would knock on your front door but best friends walk right in saying “i’m home’.
- Friends are for a while and best friends are for life.
- Friendship is not about whom you’ve known the longest, it’s about who stood by your side when you needed the most.
- Long lasting friendship is only possible if each of the friends demands nothing and respects each other.
- All lasting business is built on friendship.
- Long lasting friendship is not about being inseparable its about being separated & nothing changes.
- Friends never fall apart no matter how long since their last adventure.
- Best friends are people you don’t need to talk every single day, every week, but when you do, it’s as if you did not stop talking.
- Long friendships are like jewels polished over time to become attractive and lasting.
Loyal friendship quotes
- Friends who leave you for other friends are not your real friends.
- Be very selective to choose friends because not everyone know the true meaning of friendship and loyalty.
- If they were there during your bad time then they deserve to be with you during your good times.
- Loyal friends are real friends and real friendship is hard to find.
- On loyal friend is equal to ten thousand relatives.
- You don’t need to find the most interesting people in friendship. Just find the loyal one.
- True friendship is not about being there when its convenient, its about being there when its not.
- Loyalty is what you can seek in friendship.
Memorable friendship quotes
- We were having fun we din not realize we were making memories.
- Friendship means forgiveness not forgetting, it means understanding not agreement, It means the memories last, even if contact is lost.
- True friends make the most beautiful discovery that they can grow separately without growing apart.
- I shall say that life is good as long as memories of my certain beloved friends lives in my heart.
- It is tough to forget someone that gave you so much to remember.
- Good times + wonderful friends = incredible memories
- Simple moments spent with friends are the best memories you can have.
- A good friend knows all your best stories. A best friends has been there to live them with you.
- If the days won’t allow us to see each other, memories will.
- Its heartbreaking when the people who gave you the best memories become a memory.
- The old ones are still the best. Old friends, old tunes, old times, old jeans, old boots.
Winnie the Pooh was the world’s first Ambassador of Friendship appointed in 1997. While this day came into existence in 1935 officially, a glimpse to several folktales and mythological legends demonstrate the importance of friendship since time immemorial. The importance of friends is clearly visible in Bible as well from the old Testimonial, when Abraham is referred to as the “Friend of God”. In the new Testimonial The relationship of Lord Jesus and his Disciples describes the value of relationship.
Lord Krishna, in the famous Hindu epic Mahabharata, also displays all the emotions of friendships. The idea of celebrating a day for friendship has been gaining thrust ever since the inception of the relationship. And today, it has attained the status of being one of the biggest festivals celebrated by people at large. People, all around the globe, acknowledge their friends for being there when it was needed the most. On this special day let all your friends know that you care.
the US congress decided to dedicate a day in the honor of friends and that was the time when the tradition of celebrating the friendship day began in 1935. Though the reasons that went into making this day are not known exactly but the hindsight of the world scenario of those times can lead us to an understanding. With the First World War’s devastating effects, showing and increasing hostilities, hatred and mistrust between countries providing the perfect conditions for another imminent battle, there was a greater need for amity and friendship not only among nations but also among individuals.
Hence, the US congress decided the first Sunday of August with a formal proclamation as Friendship Day, officially declared the occasion a holiday dedicated in the honor of friendship and friends. Since then, Friendship Day became an annual event. The supercilious idea of honoring the relationship of friendship caught on with the people, in particular the youngsters. And in no time this day became a highly popular festival around the globe.
The success of this great event was not to be limited to the US only. With time, many other countries followed suit in adopting the tradition of dedicating a day to the cause of friendship. This idea was elatedly taken over by numerous other countries across the globe. As further nations joined in the celebration of friendship day, soon Friendship day became International Friendship Day.
Friendship day today, is enthusiastically celebrated by many countries every year. It is observed on the First Sunday of every August, that includes meeting with friends, exchanging gifts, cards and flowers with each other. Several cultural and social organizations celebrate Friendship day too by organizing programs and get togethers. To enhance the jubilations of the day, special performances by rock bands are also organized in countries like the US.
The famous cartoon character, Winnie-the Pooh, was named as the world’s Ambassador of Friendship by the United Nations in 1997.
It’s interesting to note how Some associations perceive Friendship day with different customs, by giving it different names and unlike the actual festival holding it in times. E.g. the third week of May is the Old Friends new Friends week, Women’s Friendship Day is on the third Sunday of August, National Friendship Day is held on First Sunday of August and the whole February is designated as the International Friendship Month.
Happy Friendship Day
Friendship Day is celebrated with great expenses and lots of fanfare. Just as in the US and several other countries, the festival has been momentously commercialized.
To lure people into buying gifts and cards for their friends, companies launch an extensive campaign many days before the festival. Cards and gift companies indulge in aggressive marketing, targeting the main celebrators of this festival, the youngsters and entice them to but expensive articles for their friend. Restaurants too offer special discounts to make most of the time. This marketing strategy is a subject of debate every year and has been criticized severely by many people. Many of them think that such lush commercialization has spoiled the concept of Friendship Day and has turned it into a mere formality. On the other hand, many thinks that the greater hoopla and flimflam promote Friendship and brotherhood and has helped to generate awareness about friendship day which was till recently a low-key affair (compare to Mother’s Day and Father’s Day).
The customs of friendship day that are popular includes handing over roses, especially pink and yellow ones. The day is observed with great merriment and excitement, throwing parties with friends, gorging on lip-smacking dishes and drinking hard.
The modern token of Friendship that is highly popular associated with this day is the well-known Friendship Bands that friends gift to one another to form an everlasting bond. These bands are available in stores and are favorite items for youngsters all over the country. Girls go in for friendship bracelets instead of the conventional friendship wristbands. To express gratitude and love for each other and to renew the bond of friendship gifts and Friendship poems are exchanged between best-friends. These are the new ways of expressing your friendship that GenX has invented.
Friendship Day and Friendship Day celebrations have come a long way since its inception in 1935. However, much the ways of celebration have changed but the basic idea behind the occasion remains the same. Friendship day is the time when you acknowledge your friends’ contribution in your life, cherish their presence, pay them a tribute and express love for them.